- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- Finely grated zest of 3 lemons (about 3 tablespoons), plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in zest and vanilla. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk and lemon juice, and beating until just combined after each.
Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake about 25 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
For the filling:
- 1.5 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries. (We used frozen wild blueberries.)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer until it reduces and has a jam-like consistency. Allow the filling to cool a bit, before piping or spooning it inside/on top of the cupcakes.
For the glaze, mix powdered sugar, milk, and lemon juice until it is thick and pourable. We started with about 1.5 cups of powdered sugar, 2 T. lemon juice, and 1 T. milk.